This vegetarian Mapo tofu is a savory and delicious recipe to serve with steamed rice in Chinese food.
Mapo tofu is originated from Szechuan province; check Easy Mapo Tofu for an authentic Szechuan dish, or you may also like a spicy and hot taste version, try Vegan Kung Pao Tofu.
- 1/2 lb. firm tofu
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2 tsp broad bean sauce
- 1 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups water/broth, or as needed
- 1 tbsp green onions
- Ground white pepper
- Salt for taste
- Measure out the tofu we will need, rinse and slice into bite-size pieces for this vegetarian mapo tofu recipe.
- Heat a wok or sauté pan to medium hot over medium-high heat, add peanut oil, heat until lightly smoking.
- Add together garlic and ginger, stir fry briefly for 10 seconds until aromatic, stir in broad bean sauce, well mix.
- Combine together the tofu pieces, stir in soy sauce and sugar, whisk around. Pour broth and bring into a boil.
- Simmer vegetarian mapo tofu for 5-6 minutes at medium heat, season with green onion and pepper, serve hot.