Vegetable chow mei fun is as popular as Singapore mei fun, the chow mei fun noodles is ordinary rice vermicelli. The difference is there is no meat in it, but with healthy and high fiber veggies.
Chow is “stir frying” a cooking method. Mei fun is also known as “Mai Fun” in Cantonese, or “Mee Fun” in mandarin. It is a kind of thin rice noodles and essential ingredients in Chinese cuisine. Chinese rice noodles are vary according to their ingredients, shape or width, and ways of preparation. Normally boiled, and stir fry with meat and vegetables.
- 10oz. mei fun noodles
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 fresh carrot
- 3 slices cabbage leaves
- 1 1/2 oz. hams
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- Peanut oil
- Here are the basic vegetarian ingredients and mei fun you will need. Rinse cabbages, green onions and carrot, then peel carrot, set aside before using.
- Soak the chow mai fun noodles in advance in warm water till tender, not soft. Otherwise they are easily broken up while stir frying.
- Now is the time to cut the vegetarian ingredients for chow mei fun, shred cabbage, carrot, hams and green onions,(separate white and green part) set aside in the plate.
- Beaten egg in another small bowl, stirring fast with chopsticks or eggbeater until egg white and egg yolk was well mixed together. Set aside.
- Preheat wok or frying pan to hot over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp peanut oil, heat to hot, stir in green white, stirring fast until aromatic, then combine hams, cook briefly till aromatic. Removed and set aside. Don’t clean out the wok.
- Reheat wok to hot over low heat, then scramble egg, transfer in the plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp peanut oil in wok, heat to hot over medium-low heat, stir in carrot, cabbage and the remaining green onions, chow constantly until tender, not too soft.( the texture is important, as it will be twice cooked with mei fun noodles)
- Add Chinese noodles, stir around with vegetables, and then add back egg and hams back to the wok with noodles. Break them up with chopsticks.
- Season with light soy sauces and salt. Stir through until sauces, vegetables and noodles are well coated with each other, taste and adjust the seasoning. Transfer and serve hot with roasted duck or meats.
In serving size of 2 cups cooked Vegetable Chow Mei Fun contains Calories: 500, Total Fat:1g, Total Carbs:44g, Protein: 2g.