Szechuan Kung pao beef is a fast restaurant recipe, an authentic Chinese food for spicy food fan.
It made with marinated beef sirloin, fried in the wok with Szechuan peppercorns and red chilies. Feel free to use chicken instead, check Pf Changes Kung Pao Chicken recipe link to learn more.
- 1/2 lb. beef sirloin
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Asian light soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine/dry sherry
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 slices ginger
- 5 stalks green onion
- 1 green red pepper
- 4 red chilies/1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt, for taste
- Peanut/vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse beef sirloin, cut across the grain into dices or strips. Mix with marinade ingredient for 30 minutes for Szechuan recipe.
- Chop garlic and ginger, cut green onions and green pepper into 1 inch pieces, split the red chilies into pieces, or use chili flakes instead.
- Add oil into preheated wok at medium, stir in Szechuan peppercorns, garlic and ginger briefly until aromatic. Add meat pieces, turn heat to high.
- Let sear (brown) for a minute, then stir-fry until the redness is gone and the beef is nearly cooked. Push up to the side of the wok.
- Stir in red chilies, fry briefly until fragrant, and then mix back with meat. Mix in soy sauce and red peppers, stir fry until well blended.
- Season Szechuan Kung Pao beef recipe with salt, make a taste test, adjust the salt if desire. Remove and serve hot with steamed rice.
- Garnish the recipe with green onion or coriander if desire.
- Keep the heat at high when frying the beef, and cook fast.