Sweet and sour tofu, the bean curd was deep-fried in this recipe, and then tossed with vegetables in sweet and sour sauce. For less fat, try to stir-fried or make this Hot and Sour Tofu Soup recipe.
- 10-12 oz. firm tofu
- 3 oz. carrot
- 3 oz. lettuce
Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp granulate sugar
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp green onion/coriander
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick cubes; blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain thoroughly for sweet and sour tofu recipe.
- In a wok to pot, heat enough peanut oil to medium hot at medium-high heat, add bean curd and fry until golden brown, remove.
- Heat a wok to medium over medium-high heat, add oil when oil is hot, and add carrot, lettuce, fry until veggies are tender, remove.
- Reheat wok to hot over medium heat with 1 tsp oil, stir in garlic and ginger until aromatic, combine bean curd, and stir well.
- Add together carrot and lettuce, whisk around and stir in sauce ingredients. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Garnish this sweet and sour tofu recipe with green onions/coriander. Make a taste test; adjust the seasoning if desired before serving.