Stinky tofu is extremely famous in the Changsha city of Hunan Province. The blocks of tofu smell strongly of pungent cheeses, but the flavor and texture is appreciated by aficionados, who describe it as delightful. It served as appetizer with soy sauce or sweet sauce. If for a main dish with rice, this Hunan Tofu recipe would be recommended.
- 200 g Stinky tofu
- 3 tbsps Canola oil
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsps chili paste
- 1/2 cup Asia marinated white carrot, minced
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Heat the skillet very hot with oil.
- Put tofu in and fry until golden (you can also bake until golden at 400F).
- Remove and drain the oil. Reserve 1 tsp oil inside it.
- Reheat the skillet over low heat, add garlic and white turnip, stirring for 5 seconds.
- Return tofu back, chili paste, hot and BBQ sauce.
- Mixing stinky tofu completely for about 2-5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onion before serving.
Tofu is about 50% fat, so if you are focused on fat calories, you might not like this.