Stewed okra and tomatoes is a southern traditional, it is a quick and easy recipe, using stewed tomatoes and chicken, add some pan fried bacon or onion for an extra flavor. If you are looking for a soup for your meal, Okra and Tomato Soup would be great.
- 11 oz. okra
- 2 big tomatoes
- 2-3 oz. chicken, bones, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2-1 tsp sugar
- Kosher salt for taste
- Fresh ground black pepper for taste
- 2 tsp olive oil for frying
- Bring enough water into a boil in a pot, blanch tomato and okra for 1 minute each for this stewed okra recipe.
- Peel skins of tomatoes, cut into tiny pieces. Slice okra diagonally into 1 1/2 inch pieces, set aside before cooking.
- Heat a frying pan to medium at medium-high heat with oil, add chicken strips, and cook until color changed, remove.
- Reheat frying pan to medium high heat, add tomatoes, stir fry until juicy, add chicken pieces back and whisk around.
- Combine together the chicken broth and bring it into a boil, mix in ketchup and sugar, whisk until everything is mixed.
- Add the vegetable, whisk and simmer until cooked through, season stewed okra and tomatoes with salt and pepper, serve!