Spicy mala beef salad is a Chinese features recipe. “Mala” refers to two flavor, spicy and numbing, from the chili flakes and Szechuan peppercorns.
Differ from the Mala Chicken Recipe, I like to serve it as appetizer with noodles, while the other would make a wonderful main dish with steamed white rice.
- 2 lb. beef sirloin
- 2 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp salt
- 8 eight-star aniseed
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 oz. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Water, as needed
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorn
- 2 tbsp chili flakes
- Coriander, for garnishing
- Rinse beef sirloin, pat dry with paper towel, cut into chunks. Mix with Szechuan peppercorns, salt. Rub for 30 minutes.
- After rubbing, put them into a sealed container or plastic bag, seal tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 days.
- After marinating, in a pot add the meat and spices. Add enough water to just cover the meat. Heat it to a boil.
- Remove the foam and impurities with spoon. Turn heat to low and stew until cooked through. Test with chopsticks.
- Remove the beef sirloin, drain thorough and set aside at a ventilating place for at least 12 hours until dry enough.
- Add few drop of oil into a preheat wok at low heat, add 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns and stir fry constantly until dry.
- Make the mala spices: in a mortar, add the fried peppercorns and dries red chili, pestle heavy until break to pieces.
- Reserve the spices in a sealed container if desired, so you can use it at anytime for any hot and spicy Chinese food.
- Slice air dried beef into thin pieces. Mix with 1 tbsp mala spices and sauce ingredients before serving, garnish with coriander.