Spicy Hunan tofu, a homemade and delicious recipe to serve with cooked white rice. And the Chinese preserved pork makes it more regional. Feel free to use fresh Pork instead, check Homemade Crispy Fried Tofu for a good example.
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 3 oz. Chinese preserve pork
- 1 red chili
- 1-2 green chilies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 tsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sweet bean sauce, optional
- 1/3 cup broth
- 1-2 tbsp oil for frying
- Salt for taste
- Rinse tofu and drain thoroughly, cut into 1/4 inch thick bite-size pieces for this spicy Hunan tofu recipe.
- Clean and then slice the red and green chilies diagonally into strips with ginger. Chop or pat garlic.
- Heat a sauté pan to hot with oil at medium-low heat. Add firm tofu, fry until both side is golden brown.
- Reheat wok to hot with oil, stir in chilies, garlic and ginner briefly until aromatic. Add together pork.
- Combine together bean curd, stir around and pour sauce ingredients. Simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Make a taste test for spicy Hunan tofu recipe, adjust the salt if desired, remove and serve hot with rice.
Refrigerate bean curd for half of day if have enough time, it will be more tender. Fry with a small amount of oil and medium or medium-low heat is the best. Chinese preserve pork is salty, make a taste test before adding more salt.