This soy sauce chow mein is a simple and fast recipe to be prepared at home; you could make if plain or add vegetables/meat for an extra flavor. Check Panda Express Chow Mein for a vegetarian example.
- 7 oz. chow mein (soft egg noodles)
- 5 dried Chinese mushroom
- 3 oz. carrot
- 2 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce, optional
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp green onion
- Dash ground white pepper
- 1-2 tbsp peanut oil for frying
- Soften mushrooms with hot water, slice into strips with carrot. Parboil noodles for soy sauce chow mein recipe.
- It takes about 1-2 minutes to cook noodles tender, drain and mix with sesame oil. Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat a wok to hot with oil, stir in carrot and mushrooms, fry for 5-6 minutes until tender, combine noodles.
- Stir in sauce ingredients, turn heat to medium-low and toss around until noodle is completely coated with sauce.
- Garnish soy sauce chow mein recipe with green onions, season with ground pepper, make a taste test before serving.