Singapore chow mei fun is a typical American Chinese food, made with Chinese rice noodles and tossed with meat, seafood or vegetables ingredients, stir fry in the pan with curry powder, sauces and spices.
Mei Fun is also known as Mai Fun, rice sticks. In Chinese cooking, it refers to a thin rice vermicelli, much thinner than “Ho fun or Haw Fun” which is a broad rice noodles.
- 1 pound fine dried mei fun (rice vermicelli)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 ounces raw lean beef, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch julienne
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 -2 fresh hot chili pepper, partly seeded and slivered
- 3 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/4 inch julienne
- 5 Bok Choy, splited
- 12 whole scallions, cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white onion
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 pinch salt
- Soak mei fun in cold water for 30mins, or boil to tender but firm to bite.
- When time is up, drain with slotted spoon, set aside.
- Beat egg, add 1/2 tsp curry powder and sesame oil together, whisk together until blended.
- Heat your wok/skillet over moderately high heat with 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil to hot, then reduce heat to low, pour in egg mixture, pan fry until just set. Transfer and cut into long strips.
- Reheat wok with 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil, stir fry shrimp about 1 minute or just barely cooked.
- Remove shrimp. Stir fry beef with 1 tbsp oil about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Heat wok until hot, add 2 tbsps vegetable oil, stir fry ginger, garlic, red chilies, and remainning curry powder about 30 seconds.
- Add ham and Bok Choy, cook for another 30 seconds. Sprinkle 1 tbsps water if it is dry, cook until it boils away.
- Add bean sprouts, onions, scallions and noodles together, toss over with spoons about 30 seconds or until meifun was well mixed.
- Pour in chicken broth, return beef and shrimp back to wok and add soy sauce and sherry.
- Combine egg strips and salt, toss completely. Serve hot.
Serving size: 1 oz. calories: 360, total fat: 17.1, total Carbs: 25.8g, Protein: 24.7g.