A simple Szechuan style chow mein recipe, prepared with Chinese egg noodles and coriander, all fried in the wok with red chili and Szechuan peppercorns, seasoned with Asian light soy sauce. If you are allergic to spicy food, try the Authentic Chinese Chow Mein recipe for a simple start.
- 5oz. wide chow mein (soft egg noodles)
- 3 1/2 oz. coriander, chopped
- 4 red chilies or 1 tsp chili sauce
- 8-10 Szechuan peppercorns
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- Peanut/canola oil for frying
- 2 tsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/3 tsp salt for taste
- Fresh ground pepper powder for taste
- Thaw egg noodles to room temperature for this spicy chow mein recipe.
- Boil noodles in wok with boiling water for 3-5 minutes until soft, not over cooked. Remove and drained thoroughly tossed with some sesame oil.
- Clean out wok, heat it to medium at medium heat with 2 tbsp cooking oil, when oil is hot, and stir garlic, red chili and peppercorns briefly until aromatic.
- Combine together chow mein noodles, well tossed, stir in soy sauce, cooking wine, cumin powder and slat, stirring until all ingredients are completely blended.
- Sprinkle pepper powder over the top, mix in coriander just 5 seconds before serving.