Normally speaking Shanghai Chow mein is a vegetarian Chinese recipe, consist various vegetables (such as, cabbage, carrot, onion, mushrooms, bean sprouts, etc). Bok choy is one of the most convenient ingredients we have on hand and it make great flavor with egg in this dish, check more How to Make Vegetables Chow Mein or try Simple Szechuan Chow Mein for a strong taste.
- 5 oz. chow mein (dried egg noodles)
- 5 oz. green vegetables
- 1-2 big eggs
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peanut/olive oil for frying
- Parboil noodles in a wok with boiling water for 2 minutes until tender for Shanghai chow mein recipe.
- Remove with strainer and cool under running water. Drain through and mix with sesame oil completely.
- Heat a wok to hot with dash of oil over low heat, add beaten egg and fry until cooked, separate into pieces.
- Push egg aside, add green vegetables, add more oil if needed. Stir fry constantly until tender, mix in oyster sauce.
- Combine egg noodles, and try to use a pair of chopstick to whisk around until noodle is well coated with oyster sauce.
- Make a taste test for this Shanghai chow mein recipe before adding more salt for seasoning. Remove and serve.