This red cooked duck is made with marinated duck thigh, combine with carrot and potato, colorful and healthy, great to serve with white rice, for a fast food, check Cantonese Roast Duck to learn more.
- 12 oz. duck thighs
- 7 oz. potato
- 5 oz. carrot
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp rice wine/dry sherry
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp scallion, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp sugar, divide
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3 cups beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces, mix with marinade, cover and set overnight for the red cooked duck recipe.
- Rinse carrot, drain thoroughly, slice diagonally into 1 inch long wedges or cut into any shapes you like.
- Rinse potato, drain thoroughly, and slice diagonally into 1 inch wedges to match carrot or any shape you like.
- Heat a wok or sauté pan medium at low heat with 1 tsp oil, swirling so that it coats the bottom half of the pan.
- Combine meat, skin down and fry until lightly brown and fragrant. Combine together the scallion and ginger.
- Add together carrot and potatoes, whisk constantly for about 1 minute until completely mixed with meat.
- Mix in sugar, light soy sauce, salt, well mix and pour the beer. Bring into a boil a high heat and bubbles comes.
- Remove bubbles with ladle, mix in bay leaves and cinnamon, cover and simmer for 40 minutes at low heat.
- Season the red cooked duck with sugar, make a taste test before serving, adjust the seasonings if desire.
This recipe is red cooked Chinese beer duck; it is the best to use beer while simmering. It brings savory flavor and clear away tangy taste of meat.