Shrimp Shumai is a type of traditional Chinese dumplings served in dim sum, the original style is stuffed with marinated glutinous rice, now it called be filled with seafood, meat or vegetables.
Note – for this recipe you will need a steamer. We recommend this version from amazon.
- 3 1/2 oz. shrimp
- 7oz. pumpkin
- 2 slices ginger
- 3 green onions
- 15-20 shumai wraps
- Flour as needed
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as needed
- Ground white pepper
- Measure out the main ingredients we will need to make this Chinese dim sum, shrimp shumai recipe.
- Peel shrimp and deveined, sliced pumpkin into thin strips or chopped with shrimp, ginger and green onions.
- In a big mixing bowl, whisk shrimp with pumpkin, ginger and all marinade ingredients, stirring to well mixed.
- Add green onion at the late step into the mixing bowl with other ingredients, well mixed and set aside.
- Sprinkle some flour on the shumai wrappers for sticking, place it on the left hand and spoon some filling with right hand.
- Add the shrimp filling into the middle of wrappers, seal 1/3 edges with your hands lightly, repeat the process until done.
- In a steamer, add enough water and bring it into a boil, add shrimp shumai and steam for 10 minutes at high heat.
- Turn off heat, remove and serve the food hot for breakfast for night snacks.