Fresh peppers in this Hunan fried rice make this recipe is distinct from Taiwanese Fried Rice, and oyster sauce was added. Cooked ham or bacon ingredients can be used in place of the chicken.
- 10 oz. leftover rice
- 5 oz. chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- Olive/vegetable oil for frying
- 1 oz. sweet onion
- 1 oz. fresh mushrooms
- 1 oz. red pepper
- 1 oz. green pepper
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/5 tsp salt
- Pinch of pepper powder
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/5 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper powder
- Dash of five-spice powder, optional
- Use boneless, skinless chicken for this Hunan fried rice recipe, cut meat into bite-size cubes.
- Whisk them around with oyster sauce, salt and pepper powder for 10 minutes.
- Clean all vegetables, and slice diagonally into small pieces to match chicken.
- Remove leftover rice from refrigerator to room temperature and crumble any lumps.
- Crack eggs in a mixing bowl, whisk around with dash of salt and beat well.
- Scramble egg in a frying pan with 1 tsp oil until done, chop with spatula into pieces.
- Reheat pan to medium-high with 2 tbsp oil, add chicken, stir fry until color changed, and add mushrooms, onion, mix in sauce ingredients.
- Stir fry for 2 minutes; combine together red and green pepper, well mixed.
- Add rice and brown the rice without scorching it, add extra oil if needed.
- Return egg back to frying pan with all ingredients, stirring until all combined.
- Make a taste test, adjust the seasoning if desired, garnish with green onions.
- Remove Hunan fried rice recipe and serve it hot.