Hunan chicken recipes are popular in Chinese cuisine, they are nearly similar as Szechuan Chicken Stir Fry recipes, (both spicy) but different somewhat.
The Hunan style food has a thicker sauce while the latter recipe use the typical Szechuan peppercorns results a numbing and hot taste.
- 4 medium chicken thighs
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice wine/dry sherry
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 oz. scallion
- 1/2 tsp dried chili/chili flakes
- 1 tbsp broad bean sauce (Hunan style)
- Peanut/vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse chicken thighs, pat dry and cut into bite-size cubes for this Hunan chicken recipe.
- Rinse ginger, scallion and red pepper. Slice diagonally into 1/2 inch long pieces, set aside.
- Add oil into preheated wok, stir in scallion, ginger, red pepper and broad bean sauce.
- Stir fry briefly until aromatic. Combine the chicken cubes, stir around and medium heat.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl in advance and then pour into the wok with meat.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce is thicken and meat is cooked through. Serve.