This homemade chow mein recipe calls for easy ingredients we could have on hand, for a vegetarian, check Homemade Subgum Chow Mein. And you may like to try this delicious Pork Chow Mein that calls for skills to fry the noodles.
- 8 oz. chow mein (soft egg noodles)
- 1 big egg, scrambled
- 4 oz. green vegetable
- 3 oz. pork tenderloin
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as needed
- 1/2-1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp green onions, chopped
- Peanut/canola oil for frying
- Cut pork and red pepper into strips, slice vegetable into small pieces for homemade chow mein recipe.
- In a pot with enough boiling water, add dash of salt, add noodles and parboil for 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Remove and cool under running water, drain thoroughly and mix with sesame oil, whisk around well.
- Heat a wok to hot with oil, add meat and fry until color change. Add vegetables, cook until tender, combine egg.
- Turn heat to medium-low, stir in sauce ingredients, well mix and add noodles, whisk until well coated with sauce.
- Garnish this homemade chow mein recipe with green onions, make a taste test before serving, enjoy hot.