Mapo tofu is also known as spicy Szechuan tofu, a very famous dish in Sichuan cuisine. The main ingredients are bean curd and ground meat.
The key seasoning mapo doufu is broad bean sauce (dou ban jiang) it not only makes the food hot and flavorful, also bring a bright color that make you mouthwatering.
To meet personal preferences, this recipe could be cooked with no meat, see Vegetarian Mapo Tofu for an example, sometimes more ingredients was added for a balanced nutrition just like the Kung Pao Tofu.
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 4 oz. beef
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp scallion
- 1/2 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp broad bean sauce
- 2 tsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch, dissolve with,
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp green onion
- Peanut/canola oil for frying
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch long cubes for this easy mapo tofu recipe.
- In a pot with boiling water, blanch bean curd for 2-3 minutes, remove.
- Cut beef across the grain into strips, and slice diagonally into tiny pieces.
- Peel ginger and cloves garlic, then chop into tiny pieces with scallion, set aside.
- Heat a wok hot with oil at medium heat. Stir in spices briefly to fragrant. Add beef.
- Stir fry constantly until meat color changed. Stir in sauce ingredients, whisk around.
- Combine together the tofu pieces; scramble the wok to mix everything is well coated.
- Pour water, mix in salt and five-spice powder, and simmer at high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Thicken mapo tofu sauce with cornstarch mixture, garnish with green onions before serve.