Tea eggs are typical Chinese savory food and a household treat, they are commonly sold as snacks by street vendors, or in night markets throughout the world.
They are not expensive but I prefer to make them at home for a fresher and authentic taste. If don’t have the ingredients available, try How to Make Asian Deviled Eggs to delight yourself.
- 6 big eggs
- 1/6 oz. Chinese tea
- 1 bag seasoning
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 1/2 tsp liquorices root
- 2 tsp rice wine/dry sherry
- 4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add eggs into cold water, cook for 8-10 minutes for Chinese tea egg recipe.
- Measure out the tea, seasoning, rock sugar and other main ingredients.
- In soup pot, add enough water and the seasonings and sauce ingredients.
- Boil for 10 minute. Peel eggs and slice cross-wize on the surface, add to the pot.
- Continue cook at medium heat for 15 minutes until well coated with sauce.
- Mix salt to Chinese tea egg. Turn off heat and set for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Add eggs into cold water and then bring to a boil to prevent the shell break.
- Soak them in cold water until cool and then peel the shell for saving time.
- Slice cross-wise on the surface, so egg would be nicely coated with sauces.