Char siu chicken, an authentic homemade Chinese food to serve with steamed rice and accompanies with boiled vegetables.
This dish always made as a fast take-out food, is a classified as a type of siu mei, popular in Cantonese cuisine and Hong Kong and the basic dish is origin from Char Siu Pork Recipe, click link to learn more.
- 1/2 lb. chicken things/breast
- 1 bowl of steamed rice
- 5 stalks bok choy
Char siu sauce:
- 2 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine/dry sherry
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 slices ginner, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- Olive oil as needed
- Honey/syrup, as needed
- In a soup pot, bring enough water into a boil; add dash of salt, drops of oil. Add rinsed boky choy and blanch briefly until dark green and tender, remove and cool under running water. The side dish with char siu chicken recipe.
- Remove the bones if use chicken things, rinse completely and drain well. Mix with garlic, ginger and char siu sauce for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 390-392 F. degree, line a baking sheet with tinfoil greased with olive oil.
- Set a bowl of water under baking sheet to prevent the meat dry while cooking. Bake for 20-30 minutes, then remove out and brush honey/syrup on skin side overall, continues cook for 2-5 minutes. Serve dish hot with white rice and vegetable.