Kung pao tofu is a spicy stir-fry dish made with bean curd, peanuts, vegetables and chili peppers, it is a classic dish in Szechuan cuisine as well as the Healthy Kung Pao Chicken dish. They are also popular in westernized Chinese cuisine in North America.
Knowing how to make kung pao tofu by following the photo instruction. Feel free to use the firm vegetables you have on hand, or check Vegan Kung Pao Tofu for an example. Serve as a main dish with steamed white rice.
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 3 oz. carrot
- 3 oz. lettuce
- 1 tbsp scallion
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 red chilies
- 1 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp granulate sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese rice wine/dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted
- Peanut oil for frying, as needed
- Salt for taste
- Peel carrot and lettuce, cut into small pieces for this Kung pao tofu recipe.
- Roast peanuts in oven or stir-fry in wok with dash of oil until done, set aside.
- Pat tofu dry with paper towel. Pan-fry in a wok until golden brown, remove.
- Slice scallion diagonally into wedges, chop garlic, ginner and red chilies, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine together all sauce ingredients, stir completely.
- Heat a wok hot with oil at medium heat, stir in garlic, ginger briefly, and add carrot.
- Stir fry for 3 -5 minutes or until carrot is tender and the color changed. Add lettuce and scallion.
- Stir constantly until tender, add bean curd pieces back to wok, and mix in sauce mixture.
- Add peanuts into Kung pao tofu recipe whisk around and make a taste test before serving.
Deep-fry tofu in the wok with enough oil until golden brown for a crispy texture outside, but soft inside if desired. Yet it is high in fat.
In serving size of 6 oz Kung Pao tofu, it has Calories:430, Total fat:25g, Carbohydrate:38g and Protein:19g. or you could find more data from the links.