This Chinese hot and sour soup with egg recipe is meat-free, consisting black fungus, sliced tofu and beaten egg. A simple and flavorful side dish with steamed rice.
For a Chinese food fan that has a strong taste for hot (spicy) food. You would like this Homemade Hot and Sour Soup recipe as well.
- 1 cake fresh tofu
- 3 tablespoons black fungus
- (Or 3 – 4 Chinese dried black mushrooms or fresh mushrooms)
- 3-4 cups water (or 3 cups water and 1 cup Campbell’s chicken broth)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white rice vinegar/red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- White pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Hot chili oil, to taste, optional
- Soften black fungus in warm water, slice into strips for this hot and sour tofu soup recipe.
- Rinse fresh tofu, cut into small squares. Be careful, it is easy broken.
- In a bowl, crack eggs, beat completely and mix the cornstarch with water in another bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the fungus and the tofu. Bring back to a boil. Stir in the sauce ingredients.
- Pour the cornstarch into the soup, stirring. Remove the broth from the stove as soon as it is boiling.
- Slowly drop in the egg, stirring in one direction at the same time. Add the white pepper to taste.
Garnish the hot and sour tofu soup with green onions and drizzle with chili oil if desired before serving.