Hakka-style stuffed tofu is a popular dish in Cantonese cuisine, prepared with firm tofu, stuffed with ground meat and Chinese dried mushrooms in the middle, then simmered. It could be cooked in other ways, check Steam Tofu with Soy Sauce recipe link to learn more.
- 2 lb. firm tofu (bean curd)
- 3 oz. ground pork
- 1 oz. Chinese dried mushroom
- 1 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp green onions
- 2 tsp peanut oil for frying
- Soften mushroom with hot water, drain and ground, then mix with pork for Hakka style stuffed tofu recipe.
- Pat bean curd dry, slice into 1 1/2 inch long, 1/2 inch thick pieces; dig a shallow hole in the middle.
- Stuff the holes with ground, soften Chinese dried mushroom and pork, and press lightly to fill well.
- Heat wok to medium at low heat with oil; add bean curd pieces, fry until brown, turn them around, fry again.
- Transfer the food into a crock-pot or remain in the wok. Mix in sauce ingredient and bring to boil at high heat.
- Turn heat to low, simmer Hakka-style stuffed tofu for 8-10 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve hot!
Garnish the recipe with green onions or coriander before serving.