General Tso’s chicken, a easy homemade Chinese recipe, deep fried chicken was tossed with particular sauces ingredients that is popularly served in North American Chinese restaurants, follow our photo instructions to cook a delicious dish at home yourself, or learn How to Make Cashew Chicken.
- 1/2 lb. chicken thighs, boneless
- 2 green peppers
- 3 green onions
- 6-8 red chilies
- 1 tsp red and green Sichuan peppercorn, optional
- 2–3 cups oil for deep-frying, as needed
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/5 tsp salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Cornstarch, as needed
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp chicken broth or water
- Rinse chicken and pat dry, cut it into 1-inch cubes for this general Tso’s chicken recipe.
- The green peppers we will need for this Chinese food, clean it under running water, drain thoroughly.
- Rinse green onions or scallion, drained and set aside.
- Fresh red chilies can make a substitute for the dried ones; omit the peppercorns if you don’t have.
- Marinate chicken with salt and light soy sauce for 20 minutes, and then whisk around with egg yolk and cornstarch.
- Remove pepper seeds and slice diagonally into small pieces, slice green onions (white part) to 1 inch long and chop remaining parts.
- Cut red chilies into pieces, and combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, stirring well, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 350-360 degrees Fahrenheit. Drop the chicken cubes and deep-fry in batches until crispy brown (3 to 4 minutes).
- Remove the chicken cubes and drain on paper towels.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon oil from the wok, stir in chili and peppercorns briefly until aromatic, and add green peppers.
- Add chicken back to wok, combine green onion (white part) stir fry for 2 minutes, and add sauce mixture, slowly stirring and simmer until sauce is thicken.
- Remove general Tso’s chicken recipe and serve hot with cooked white rice, and garnish with green onions.