A simple Asian style fried okra crispy recipe. The okra is dredged in seasoned flour mixture batter and fry brown, if you are looking for a no batter cornmeal recipe, click recipe link Fried Okra Cornmeal.
- 1/2 lb okra pods, sliced in half
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/5 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, optional
- Rinse okra pots and drain thoroughly, remove ends and sliced into half for this fried recipe.
- In a container, mix egg with flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper, stir to mix completely.
- Dredge okra pot into the flour mixture; lightly mix with chopsticks or your hands until coat evenly.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer to 350F.-370F. Degrees, stir in peppercorns until fragrant, remove.
- Add okra pieces and fry in batches until browned, about 4 to 6 minutes for each batch.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain excess oil on paper towel, and serve immediately.