This fried okra cornmeal is a southern classic, its taste turned out perfectly, if you are not a fan of cornmeal, too gritty for you, you can check Asian Fried Okra with photo instruction.
- 1/2 lb. pods okra, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut off ends of okra, rinse under running water and drained, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a bowl, soak okra in egg, stir to coat completely, in a shallow dish, mix cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Dredge okra in the cornmeal mixture to coat evenly. Heat the oil in the deep fryer to 350-370F. degrees.
- Fry okra in batches until browned, about 4 to 6 minutes for each batch. Drain on paper towels and serve.