Easy homemade beef stew with soy sauce is an awesome red-cooked Chinese food. It is wonderful to serve with spaghetti or white rice.
Stew the food in a crock-pot for less attention; learn more from Chinese Spicy Slow Cooker Beef Stew recipe.
- 14 oz. beef steak, round or flank
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 stalk celery
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil for stir-frying
- 6 rock sugar
- 1 star aniseed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 slices ginger
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 cup hot water or
- Boiled low-sodium chicken broth
- Partially freeze the steak to make it easier to cut. Cut across the grain into cubes about 1 inch long and wide, and marinate with cornstarch for 10 minutes.
- In a big saucepan, add enough water and bring it into a boil at high heat, add beef steak pieces, and blanched for 30 seconds, remove and drained.
- Heat your frying pan or pot to medium at low heat; add 2 tsp oil, when oil is hot add rock sugars, stirring constantly until the sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Stir in drained blanched beef pieces, slowly toss with rock sugar liquid for 1-1 1/2 minutes until was completely coated and color changes to lightly brown.
- Rinse bay leaves and star aniseed clean under running water, split them into small pieces with your hand, and add them into pot with ginger together.
- Whisk around all ingredients in the frying pot, splash the pieces with Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry if desired, stirring around until aromatic.
- Stir in oyster sauce and soy sauce, well tossed to fragrant and add chicken broth. Bring the sauce to a boil at high heat and simmer for 1/2-1 hour at low heat.
- Mix in salt and pepper to oyster sauce stir fry beef for taste when the sauce is nearly thicken, add sliced celery, whisk it around and serve the dish hot.
Transfer beef into a casserole after mixing with oyster sauce if desired, or cook in a pressure cooker for less cooking time. Make a taste test before adding salt, as oyster sauce itself is salty and sweet.