Beef lo mein noodles or subgum lo mein recipe make a great dinner or night snack for a day, for a thicker sauce, whisk 2 tsp cornstarch into the sauce after celery is cooked through.
- 10 oz. lo mein (soft egg noodles)
- 10 oz. flank beef, grilled
- 1 tbsp ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 quart stalk celery
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Peanut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine/dry sherry
- 1 tsp red chili paste, optional
- 2 tsp cornstarch, mix with water, optional
- In a saucepan with enough boiling water, add 1/2 tsp salt, cook noodles for 2 minutes until soft. Slice grilled beef into thin strips.
- Remove with slotted spoon and run cold under running water, drain and whisk around with sesame oil.
- Heat a wok or frying pan to medium-high heat with 1 tbsp cooking oil.
- Stir in ginger and garlic briefly until aromatic, about 5 seconds.
- Combine together beef, stir around and mix in Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce and chili paste if desired and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour beef broth in a steady stream and bring it into a boil.
- Add together celery, stir around and simmer for 1 more minutes until vegetable is cooked through.
- Serve beef lo mein noodles with green onion added.