Chinese tofu with chili bean sauce is a flavorful and colorful recipe. Bean curd is a very popular ingredient in Chinese food, as it has low calories count, little fat, yet high in protein, iron and very cheap.
It can be used in savory and sweet dishes, like this Vegan Kung Pao Tofu, and it could seasoned or marinated to suite other dishes.
- 10 oz. firm tofu
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp green onions
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red chili
- Peanut oil for frying
- Rinse tofu and drain. Cut it into 1/2 inch thick cubes for this Chinese tofu with chili bean sauce recipe.
- Slice pepper into half, remove seeds and cut into tiny pieces. Chop garlic ginger and green onion.
- Heat a wok to medium at medium-low heat with oil. Add bean curd pieces, fry until brown. Remove.
- Reheat wok to hot with 1 tsp oil, stir in garlic, ginger and garlic briefly until aromatic.
- Add tofu pieces back to wok, stir constantly to whisk around completely.
- Stir in chili bean sauce (broad soybean paste) and water, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Asian light soy sauce when the sauce is almost dry.
- Add green peppers and red chilies. Stir fry until tender.
- Transfer Chinese tofu with chili bean sauce recipe, serve hot.
Pan Fry tofu with oil in advance, it won’t be easily broken up. If you don’t feel like spicy food, omit the chilies and peppers if desired.