Chinese sweet and sour pork chops, a homemade Chinese food, was served as main dish with steamed rice. It was deep-fried and then simmered in the sugar and soy sauce mixture, flavored with roasted sesame seeds.
For a Chinese food fan, you might start this dish easily from How to Make Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork Spare Ribs Recipe with photo instructions.
- 1 lb. pork chops
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 5 slices ginger
- 2 star aniseeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted
- Peanut oil for deep frying, as needed
- Blanch pork chops in a big saucepan for 5-8 minutes, add ginger and star aniseed, boil until no blood. Remove and drained.
- Heat the oil for deep–frying to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Deep-fry the pork until it is golden brown and crispy (about 6 minutes).
- Drain all oil but reserve 1 tbsp in the wok, add sugar and stirring to completely dissolved and turn brown color at low heat.
- Add pork pieces, stirring constantly with sugar until completely coated, mix in sauce mixture ingredients and water.
- Bring it into a boil at high heat and then simmer at medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce is almost thicken.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on the top of pork chops while serving. For a thick batter, thicken the sauce with cornstarch mixture if use.