Chinese spicy slow cooker beef stew is a strong taste main dish, flavored with Chinese spices as well as the Chinese Clay Pot Beef Stew Recipe.
Slow cooker or clay pot also called crock-pot; they are made with pottery, can keep the heat balanced and strongly, heated at low heat and remain the food nutrition at utmost.
- 2 lb. beef
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- Salt and pepper for taste
- 1 scallion
- 8 slices ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp rock sugars
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 red dried chilies
- 1 medium cinnamon (8 gram)
- 3 star aniseeds (8 gram)
- 1 tsp bay leaves
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 cups warm water, or as needed
- Partially freeze the steak to make it easier to cut. Cut across the grain into chunks, about 1 inch long, remove fat.
- Measure out the seasonings we will need to make this red cooked beef recipe; they can be purchased at Asian markets.
- In a big saucepan, add enough water and bring it into a boil at high heat, add beef steak pieces, blanch for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the pieces with slotted spoon when the blood is clean, and let it drained thoroughly. Set aside before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a preheated wok or a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the seasonings mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic.
- Combine together the blanched beef. Stirring constantly let the pieces brown briefly and is about 80 percent cooked.
- Mix in sauce mixture ingredients, except water, slowly; stirring until the pieces was completely coated with the sauce. Add water.
- You can continue cooking in the wok or move to a clay pot, starting with low heat and then gradually increasing it to medium until boiling.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour, taste and season the red cooked beef with salt and pepper if desired.