Chinese Sesame Pepper Beef with Asparagus Recipe. The tender, crispy texture of asparagus and the sweet taste of it contrast nicely with fried beef, especially topped with flavorful pepper powder seasonings.
- 3 1/2 oz. lean beef
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp black pepper powder
- 50ml vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse and cut the beef across the grain into thin strips about 2-3 inches long. Wisk together salt, oyster sauce, cornstarch with beef, marinated for 20 minutes.
- Break off asparagus spears at tender point, rinse and cut into 2-inch diagonal pieces.
- Wrap asparagus tightly with beef slices, stick with toothpicks if desired.
- Heat cooking oil to high heat, add beef and asparagus rolls, open side down, cover and heat over low heat until per-side brown, sprinkle beef with pepper powder while frying, garnish with roasted sesame seed while serving.