This Chinese red wine chicken wing recipe makes a great main dish for lunch, the soy sauce and red wine combination make the food colorful and flavorful, and you may also like try appetizer Chinese Beer Chicken Wings with Mushrooms recipe.
- 6 medium chicken wings
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking wine/dry sherry
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 50 ml red wine
- 1/3 tsp pepper powder
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 3 slices ginger, sliced
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- Thaw chicken wings to room temperature, rinse and pat dry, and cut into half, set in a big mixing bowl, add light soy sauce.
- Mix in cooking wine/dry sherry.
- Whisk together salt and cornstarch, well tossed till completely coated with sauces and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the wok to medium at medium-low heat; add 1 tbsp cooking oil until it is 50 percent hot.
- Add chicken wings, Blanch by letting them lay flat for 10-15 seconds, and then stirring to separate the pieces.
- Cook until the meat are golden brown and nearly cooked.
- Remove and drain excess oil on paper towel.
- Reheat wok with 1/2 tsp cooking oil at medium heat, when it is 70 percent hot, add ginger and scallion, and stir fry for 10 seconds until aromatic.
- Re-add chicken back to wok, well tossed, sprinkle pepper powder over the top.
- Mix in dark soy sauce, well mixed.
- Add granulate white sugar, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Pour red wine, cover the lid and simmer until sauce is thicken and the meat are cooked through.
- Make a taste test, add more salt if desired, remove red wine chicken wings dish and serve hot with cooked rice.