Moo goo gai pan is an Americanized version of the Cantonese dish. It is a simple stir-fried Chinese food including chicken with white button mushrooms and other vegetables, flavored with oyster sauce.
Try to have an easy start from Chinese Mushroom Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry recipe if desire.
- 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup fresh button mushrooms
- 3 1/2 oz. broccoli
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 oz. sprouts garlic
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/5 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp oil for stir frying, or as needed
- Measure out the vegetables we will need to make this moo goo gai pan recipe. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and cut into thin slices.
- Remove the seeds of bell pepper, slice diagonally into wedges. Remove hard stems of broccoli and separate the floret into 3-4 pieces.
- Rinse sprouts garlic, remove heads and any hard parts, drained thoroughly. Slice it into 1 1/2 inch long pieces to match the pepper ingredients.
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips. Add the marinade in the order given, adding the cornstarch last. Marinate the chicken for about 15 minutes.
- Mix sauce ingredients and set aside. Heat a wok or skillet to medium at medium-high heat, add sprouts garlic, stir fry for 1 minute until shrivel.
- Combine together the broccoli florets and button mushrooms; continue stir fry constantly until broccoli is dark green and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from wok, and stir fry chicken separately until cooked, or just add the chicken straight to vegetable and stir fry until cooked.
- Give the sauce a quick re-stir, and then make a well in the middle of the wok and add sauce into it. Stirring the food fast until the sauce is thickened.
- Taste the moo goo gai pan recipe, adjust the seasonings if desired, remove it and serve hot with cooked rice or with boiled ramen noodles.