Chinese ginger scallion chicken, steamed chicken with ginger and scallion is a traditional Chinese food. As the ingredients sound, this dish is very simple, and because of the cooking method, it remains the original flavor of the food.
If looking for a stir-fried style Chinese dish, check Chinese Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry recipe to learn more.
- 1 whole chicken thigh/10 oz. chicken meat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine/dry sherry
- 2 tbsp scallion (green onion) white part
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp scallion (green onion) green part
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1/3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolve with
- 2 tsp water
- Rinse chicken thigh, pat dry with paper towel. Mix with salt and Chinese cooking completely and marinate for 2 hours.
- Rinse ginger and scallion (white part), drain thoroughly. Chop them on the cutting board thinly and whisk with meat overall completely.
- In a wok or steamer, add enough water and bring into a boil, set the plate with meat on steam rack, steam at medium high for 15 minutes.
- Remove and pour the liquid into a wok, add 1-2 tbsp hot water if desired. Mix in scallion (green part), soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Give a quick re-stir to cornstarch and water mixture, pour into the wok, stir fast to thicken the sauce, and then pour to the tops of meat.
- Cut the Chinese ginger and scallion chicken into bite-size pieces before pouring sauce if desired. Transfer and serve hot, enjoy!
- Cut the meat into bite-size pieces when marinating if desired.
- Test the chicken with tooth stick when comes out clean before serving.