This Chinese clay pot beef stew is a Chinese red-cooked recipe, the same as the Chinese Spicy Slow Cooker Beef recipe. It made with lean beef, potato and carrot and the veggies add a soft texture and sweet taste to meat.
- 1 lb. lean beef
- 2 star aniseeds
- 1 slice cinnamon (8 gram)
- 1 scallion, white only
- 5 slices gingerroot
- 5 cloves garlic
- 6 rock sugar
- 3 tbsp Asian light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine/ dry sherry
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 small potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Partially freeze the lean beef to make it easier to cut. Cut across the grain into chunks, about 1 inch long, and remove any fat.
- Add enough water to a big saucepan, bring it into a boil at high heat, add beef pieces, and blanch for about 30 seconds. Remove and drained.
- Measure out the seasonings we will need to make this red cooked beef recipe; they can be purchased at Asian markets.
- Rinse vegetables, peel carrot and potato, cut diagonally into 1 inch long wedges, set aside before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a preheated wok or a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the seasonings mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic.
- Combine together the blanched beef. Stirring constantly let the pieces brown briefly and is about 80 percent cooked. Add sauces.
- Move it to a clay pot and add hot water, starting with low heat and then gradually increasing the heat to medium heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, combine together the carrot and potatoes, cover and continue simmer until the vegetables were cooked through.
- Taste and season the food with salt and pepper if desired remove clay pot beef stew and serve it hot with cooked rice.