Chinese bitter melon soup, prepared with soy beans and pork bones, it is a usual homemade soup, as the ingredients combination can make its taste less overpowering and delicious and healthy.
- 10 1/2 oz. bitter melon
- 1 1/2 oz. soybean
- 14oz. pork bones
- 1/5 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
- 5 slices ginger
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper powder, pinch
- Rinse and cut bitter melon in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and white pitch from the middle with a small spoon, line up each piece from right to left, and cut into thin slices. Soften soybean with warm water for 20 minutes.
- Add a saucepan, add enough water, bring it into a boil, add pork bone, and cook at high heat for 2 minute until no more blood. Remove and clean under running water.
- In a casserole, bring enough water (Just cover the ingredients) into a boil, add pork bone and soybeans, mix in ginger and Chinese cooking wine, heat it back at high heat, turn down low and continue simmer for 1 minutes.
- Parboil bitter melon in hot water if you don’t like its bitter taste.
- Combine together vegetables.
- Cover the lid, cook for 20 more minutes. Stir in salt and pepper powder before serving.