Chinese beef tomato and potato soup is a delicious and strong taste Chinese food with steamed rice. It would take some time and patient to be finished. For a vegetarian, especially for a busy day, you can try this simple Chinese Carrot Potato Soup recipe.
- 2 lbs. lean beef
- 1/2 lb. tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. potatoes
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped
- 5 slices ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 bay leave
- 1 tsp dried hawthorn
- 1 dried orange peel
- 1 piece Chinese cinnamon
- 2 tbsp granulate sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- Soak beef in water for 30 minutes. Cut it across the grain into 1 inch long chunks, mix the spice in seasoning box.
- In a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover the meat pieces, add spices and ginger, heat it at high heat.
- Turn heat to medium after the water is boiling and then continue simmer for 1-2 hours until the beef is cooked through.
- Turn off heat, remove pieces with slotted spoon, set aside and reserve the soup, peel potato and cut into wedges.
- Heat a crock pot to medium with 2 tsp olive oil, stir in green onions, and stir fry briefly until aromatic.
- Combine together potatoes, stir fry for a few seconds or until the vegetable was well coated with oil.
- Pour reserved soup into crock pot; bring it into a boil at high heat and then 10 more minutes at low heat.
- While the soup is preparing, slice tomatoes cross-wise pattern on the top and then heat tomatoes in hot water.
- Peel tomatoes lightly and then slice diagonally into small pieces, set is aside with meat before cooking.
- Remove the lid of crock pot; add flank beef, tomatoes, and sugar and remaining ingredients into the pot.
- Covered and continue cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the soup is thick.
- Taste and season the beef and tomato soup with salt and white pepper if desired, serve it hot.