Century egg congee is a well-known homemade Chinese rice porridge recipe in China, as it is very simple to handle and calls for easy ingredients. If you don’t feel like the taste of century egg, try Shrimp and Mushroom Congee, it would delight you.
- 3 1/2 oz. white rice
- 2 century eggs
- 2 oz. lean pork
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 1/3 tsp sesame oil
- 5-6 cup water
- 1-2 tbsp green onions
- Salt, as needed
- Measure out the main ingredients we will need to make this century egg congee recipe.
- Rinse white rice, drain thoroughly, mix with sesame oil and set for 20-30 minutes.
- Clean out the green onions and ginger, slice into thin strips, set aside before using.
- Cut meat across the grain into thin strips, mix with salt and set for 30 minutes.
- In a crock-pot, add water and bring it into a boil at high heat. Add the ginger.
- Cook briefly and combine meat strips. Heat it back and remove the blood-bubbles.
- Combine together the marinated long-grain rice; bring to a boil again at high heat.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add century egg. Continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir century egg congee constantly while cooking. Garnish with green onion, taste test.
- Marinate meat in advance (one day ahead) if desired.
- Mix rice with oil, make the congee more flavorful and sticky.