Cantonese steamed sponge cake, also named Ma Lai Go in mandarin and it is a kind of cake. And a traditional snack/appetizer in Cantonese cuisine, often served in Chinese tea houses.
It made mainly with egg, flour and lard, fermented before steaming, golden yellow, fluffy and flavorful. Check more Chinese featured snacks from Taro Cake Recipe.
- 2-3 eggs
- 7 oz. milk
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 oz. lard (pork fat)
- 1/2 lb. flour
- 1 tbsp soda powder
- Crack eggs in a big mixing bowl, beat completely. Mix in milk, white sugar and lard, beat until well blended.
- Measure out the flour for Cantonese Ma Lai Go recipe. Sift into the egg mixture, and combine the soda powder.
- Beat with an electric blender at medium speed until completely blended and become thick, no more grains.
- Lin a steam pan, greases generously with butter or olive oil, pours the egg and flour mixture into it and set for 15 minutes.
- In a big steamer or wok with enough boiling water, set the pan on steam rack and stem for 20 minutes at high heat.
- Remove the Cantonese steamed sponge cake, cool in room temperature for a while and cut into bite-size pieces when serving.