Braise Chinese chestnut chicken recipe is an easy homemade main dish, it has a strong taste and thick sauce, to serve with steamed rice.
Omit the chilies if can’t accept the spicy flavor or try to use bell pepper instead, learn more from Chinese Cashew Chicken and Carrot Stir Fry recipe.
- 10 oz. medium chicken wings
- 16 Chinese chestnuts
- 1 oz. red chili
- 1 oz. green chili
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tbsp scallion
- 5 slices ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese rice wine
- 1/5 tsp salt, for taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Boil Chinese chestnut in hot water until done. Peel and remove the shell, set aside.
- Cut chilies and ginger into strips. Chop garlic and scallion, cut tomato 1/6 into pieces.
- Rinse chicken wings and blanch in boiling water briefly until color changed, removed.
- Add oil into preheated wok at medium, add chicken and stir fry to golden brown, remove.
- Reheat wok to medium with 2 tsp oil, stir in scallion, garlic and ginger to aromatic, add chicken back.
- Combine the tomato, mix in soy sauce, sugar, rice wine and salt. Whisk around completely.
- Add Chinese chestnuts back to wok with other ingredients, mix around.
- Pour chicken broth, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Add chilies into braised Chinese chestnut chicken recipe at 10 seconds before serving.