This beef and Tofu Stir Fry, is a version of Mapo tofu which is a popular dish in Szechuan cuisine, it is famous for its hot and savory taste. Know more How to Make Easy Mapo Tofu that uses pork in the food.
The founder to mapo doufu is an old woman whose face was pockmarked and lives in the outskirts of Chengdu city (Sichuan province) where many traders often passed, that is why it is so famous in the world now.
- 1/2 lb. firm tofu
- 3-4 oz. beef, ground
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp broad bean sauce
- 1 tsp black soybean sauce, optional
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/5 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp chili flaks, optional
- 1/3 cup beef/chicken broth
- 2 tsp Asian light soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolve with,
- 2 tsp water
- Peanut oil for frying
- Slice tofu into 1/2 inch cubes for this beef and tofu stir fry recipe.
- In a pot with boiling water, blanch it for 3 minutes, remove, and drain.
- Ground beef with electric blender or chop into tiny pieces with knife.
- Peel ginger and cloves garlic, minced or chop into tiny pieces, set aside.
- Heat a wok to medium at low heat, add meat and fry until liquid dry.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and sauce ingredients. Whisk around completely.
- Pour beef/chicken broth or water into wok, bring into a boil at high heat.
- Combine together tofu pieces, mix in soy sauce and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Thicken sauce for beef and tofu stir fry recipe if desired. Remove and serve.