Beef dongpo rou is a warm Chinese meat recipe for cold days. It made with beef sirloin, stewed with carrot, flavored with Chinese spices. Feel free to replace the meat with pork, click Dongpo Pork recipe link to learn how to make it.
- 1 lb. beef
- 1 scallion
- 8 slices ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp rock sugars
- 1 medium cinnamon (8 gram)
- 3 star aniseeds (8 gram)
- 5 tsp bay leaves
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp soybean paste
- 2 tbsp peanut sauce
- 3 cups warm water, or as needed
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- Salt and pepper for taste
- In a medium saucepan, add enough water, bring it into a boil at high heat, add meat and cook for 3-5 minutes until color changed.
- Measure out the seasonings we will need to make this red cooked beef recipe; they can be purchased at Asian markets.
- Rinse vegetable under running water; peel the carrot and cut diagonally into 1 inch long wedges, set aside before cooking.
- Remove beef and let it cool for a while. And then cut across the grain into chunks, about 1 inch long, and remove any fat.
- Heat the oil in crock-pot over medium-high heat to medium. Add the entire sauce ingredient. Stir-fry briefly until well mixed.
- Pour water into crock-pot and combine together the seasonings, stir around and bring the soup into a boil at high heat.
- Add together beef chunks, cover the lid and simmer at low heat for one and a half hour or until the meat is cooked through.
- Combine together the carrot and, cover and continue simmer at medium heat until the vegetables were soft.
- Season beef dongpo rou recipe with salt and pepper, make a taste test before serving, enjoy hot with steamed rice.